The Landowner’s Guide to Sustainable Farm Leases provides an introduction to many issues related to farm leases and their impact on the sustainability of the operation. However, there are additional considerations the landowner and tenant may want to address. The resources below are provided to give additional insight on a variety of agricultural leasing aspects. Some resources, such as the Iowa State University Ag Decision Maker, provide access to many additional sources of information, while others pertain to specific aspects of farm leasing. For more sources on the legal aspects of farm leasing, see Farm Tenancy Law.
General Farm Lease Information
Whole Farm Decisions – Leasing, Iowa State University’s Ag DecisionMaker.
Providing up to date information on Iowa farm rental rates, form leases, tools for determining rents, and more.
Conservation or Sustainability and Lease Arrangements
- Farmland Leasing: Crop-Share Leases and No-Till, by William R. Harryman, University of Illinois Extension, Aug. 1997.
- Lease Supplement for Obtaining Conservation Practices and Controlling Soil Loss, by William Edwards, Iowa State University Extension, Oct. 2008.
- Post CRP Management Options and Issues, Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
Deciding on the Type of Lease
- Your Lease Arrangement: Should a Landowner Make the Switch to Cash Rent?, by Keith Brooks, University of Ill. Extension
- Flexible Farm Lease Agreements, Iowa State Extension, April 2010.
Land Trusts and Farmland Leasing
- Sustainable Agriculture RFP Lessons Report, Liberty Prairie Conservancy (Jan. 2009).
- A New Lease on Farmland: Assuring a Future for Farming in the Northeast, by Susan Witt & Jay Rossier (2000).
- Managing Landlord-Tenant Relationships, by Bernie Ervin & LeeAnn Moss, The Ohio State University Extension.
- Ethics of Renting Agricultural Land, by Kevin Dhuyvetter & Terry Kastens, September 2006.
Taxes and Farmland Leases
- Iowa Farm Leases – Legal, Economic, and Tax Considerations, by Roger McEowen, Iowa State University’s Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation (2009).