This section includes articles and reports on farm tenancy law and policy. The sources are organized by state, though non-state specific sources are also included below. Links are provided to the source where available. The purpose of this page is to give landowners and other interested parties sources that provide insight on important legal issues in relation to leasing farmland.
- The National Agricultural Law Center’s Agricultural Leases Reading Room provides a more expansive and in-depth collection of legal articles, reports, laws, regulations, and cases on farm tenancy law.
- The Tenancy Law page of this site provides reports analyzing farm tenancy laws in the specific context of sustainable farm lease arrangements.
Particular attention should be given to the dates of publication. As the law is subject to change and many of the sources, while still relevant, were published decades before, the information provided in these sources might not be in accord with current law. As stated elsewhere, the information contained in this site or linked to by this site should not be construed as legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional.
- J. W. Looney, Legal and Economic Considerations in Drafting Arkansas Farm Leases, 35 ARKANSAS L. REV. 395 (1981).
- H. W. Hannah, Illinois Farm Tenancy Law: Static or Evolving, 2 S. ILL. U. L.J. 379 (1977).
- GERALD A HARRISON, PURDUE EXTENSION, LEGAL ASPECTS OF INDIANA FARMLAND LEASES AND FEDERAL TAX CONSIDERATIONS (2000).
- Neil Hamilton, Legal Aspects of Farm Tenancy in Iowa, 34 DRAKE L. REV. 267 (1984).
- ROGER MCEOWEN, IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY, IOWA FARM LEASES – LEGAL, ECONOMIC, AND TAX CONSIDERATIONS (2009).
- KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY COOPERATIVE EXTENSION SERVICE, KANSAS AGRICULTURAL LEASE LAW (July 2005).
- STEPHEN F. MATTHEWS & MYRON BENNETT, UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI EXTENSION, VERBAL FARM RENTAL AGREEMENTS UNDER MISSOURI LAW (October 1993).
- J. David Aiken, Farm Lease Termination, CORNHUSKER ECONOMICS, Feb. 27, 2008.
- PEGGY HALL, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION, LEGAL ASPECTS OF OHIO FARMLAND LEASES (2001).
- Barry Burkhart, Leases: Farmland Lease Provisions in Oklahoma, 44 OKLA. L. R. 461 (1991).
General Tenancy Law Issues
- MARGARET GROSSMAN, Leasehold Interests and the Separation of Ownership and Control in U.S. Farmland, in PROPERTY AND VALUES: ALTERNATIVES TO PUBLIC AND PRIVaTE OWNERSHIP 119 (Charles Geisler & Gail Daneker eds., 2000).
- Darla Rogers & Mary Hertz, A New Look at Agricultural Leases, 29 S.D. L. REV. 439 (1983-1984).
- Neil Hamilton, Adjusting Farm Tenancy Practices to Support Sustainable Agriculture, 12 J. of Agric. Taxation and Law 226 (1990).
- Neil Hamilton, Sustainable Agriculture: The Role of the Attorney, 20 Env. L. Reporter 10021, 10028 (1990).
- Paul Street & D. Bernard Zaleha, Environmental Risks: Negotiating and Drafting Lease Agreements, 27 IDAHO L. REV. 37 (1990).