There are a variety of concepts, practices and improvements that can enhance the sustainability of the property you own. Understanding the meaning behind these terms assists in effectively communicating with your tenant about the adoption of sustainable farm practices.
An effort is being made to include a list of agricultural and conservation terms and concepts along with their definition. Some terms can be found below. Because this is an incomplete process links to other glossaries are also provided. These links provide information on specific terms relating to conservation, stewardship, and sustainability on agricultural land.
- The National Agricultural Law Center, located at the University of Arkansas School of Law in Fayetteville, AR provides an extensive glossary of agricultural terms and concepts, including those related to conservation.
Agriculture and Climate Change
- A glossary of terms relating to climate change and agriculture with additional resources listed.
- Published in June 2009.
Forestry Terms for Woodlot Management
- Part of the Woodland Management series at Maryland Cooperative Extension, this fact sheet contains the definitions of many forestry terms and concepts.
Farm Bill Terms and Concepts
- This NSAC glossary focuses on the terms and programs found in the 2008 Farm Bill.
- This USDA glossary provides explanations of terms and concepts related specifically to sustainable agriculture. It also includes additional links for more information on the terms.
Wind Energy Terminology
- Provides definitions and explanations for many common terms related to wind energy.